Monday, January 5, 2015

Making Reading a Priority in 2015

The first of the year is here, and everyone is talking about making and breaking New Year's resolutions. Of course I would like to be more organized, decrease clutter, and get more exercise, but the resolution I'm most likely to keep is to read more.

Maybe that's why I made note of a list of resolutions from HarperCollins Children's Books that I saw on Facebook on New Year's Eve.

  1. Read daily.
  2. Try a book by an author you've never read before.
  3. Visit the library more.
  4. Reach for a book instead of the remote at least once a week. 
  5. Read out loud to to your little ones every chance you get.

I think they all are great ideas, and I hope to be a better role model for my children to keep them motivated in reading and help my son keep gaining minutes toward Discovery's Million Minute Reading Challenge.

Below you'll find the January reading calendar, which also should be coming home this week in backpacks. Encourage your kids to read at least 10 minutes daily or share a story with them to help Discovery get to the halfway mark of 500,000 minutes for the Million Minutes Reading Challenge. January calendars are due back to teachers on Monday, Feb. 2.

Every student who turns in a January calendar will be entered into a drawing for a Rumbi's certificate for a free kid's meal and drink; 90 certificates will be given out. Also, the top readers for pre-K to 2nd and 3rd to 5th will get to select a free book.

No comments:

Post a Comment